I’ve been packing for an upcoming family trip to Australia. Aside from the usual clothes, toiletries, etc. there’s the usual bits and bobs you need on a trip – camera and something to read.
Bits and bobs for Dave’s first visit to Aus – about 1993
- Spare film
- A few paperbacks
Bits and bobs for Dave’s next visit to Aus – 2012
- Camera (mental note to charge before travelling)
- Spare battery (mental note to charge before travelling)
- Camera charger & charger cable
- GPS tracker (to create logfile so that geolocation can be loaded into EXIF data)
- Spare memory card
- External HDD to backup photos before travelling
- Kindle (mental note to charge before travelling)
- Kindle charger cable
- USB wall plug thingy
- UK –> Aus power converter
Sure, my old camera needed batteries. But it used AA’s and I never shlepped spares with me, I just bought as I went. And all of this excludes mobile phone, Netbook and associated chargers because I decided there wasn’t really anything comparable.
It sure seems like all this progress has resulted in me taking far more stuff than I used to.